I am eternally curious about what other writers use and how they use it. For a lot of people now that is a computer and software program, but I’m back to using pens and paper now, so mine looks a little different. This is a photo taken at about 6 o’clock this morning in the middle of working at the dining room table.
- Narrow Ruled Paper (no margin): I buy this in bulk. It’s nothing fancy and I use it for all planning and first draft writing.
- Pilot V5 Hi-Techpoint 0.5 pens (black): I do pretty much all my writing with these pens. I have used fountain pens in the past, but find them too fussy for longform writing. Occassionally I use other colours of the V5, but this is my go to because it’s nice to write with and you can buy them pretty much everywhere.
- File Folders: Every project gets its own folder. These are good for a whole short story but novels tend to spread over multiple folders. The colours have no significance.
- Moleskine Pocket Diary: I use this as a log book. I just list out what I’ve done each day. Also I track the books I’ve read and how much time I’ve spent writing.
- Moleskine Pocket Cahier: I always have one of these in my pocket. The stickers are so I can quickly see which side is the front.
- Pencil Case: mostly full of Pilot V5 pens.
- Coffee: I get up at 0530 in the morning, coffee is an essential tool.
There are other things I use at different stages of the process, these are just what I happen to have out on the table when the photo was taken.