I use seven different notebooks on an (almost) daily basis. It seems like a lot, and maybe it is, but I have tried using fewer and it doesn’t work as well for me. I have also tried using digital methods, and while it is convenient to have all of my notebooks with me at all times, I don’t enjoy it as much. And, while the digital method might only require one device, it still splits things across multiple applications, so I don’t think I am much better off that way.
These are my notebooks and what I currently use them for:
Starting from the top
- My pocket notebook, I carry this everywhere for making quick notes
- My log book, at the end of every day I write down the things that I have done
- I am part of a climate action group and this is where I keep my notes from meetings
- My journal
- My reading list, this is where I write down the books that I have read
- My writing book, this is where I write my first drafts
- My task manager, loosely based on the Bullet Journal system
Clearly I don’t carry all of these around with me all the time but they are each indispensable in their own ways.